Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Having a little sense...

   I spent a few hours on the Guadalupe and Comal Rivers yesterday, mostly testing some new camera equipment and practicing my fly fishing form. As I paddle down around the Cross River rapids ('Lupe) towards the confluence with the Comal, I begin to see lengths of red twine dangling in to the water... periodically the twine twitches.

   I begin to paddle over thinking no one could be so ignorant as to put drop lines (TPWD calls them throwlines) in such a place like this where tubers, kayakers and canoeists still skim the trees. Sure enough, hooked with stainless steel J hooks, were little live sunfish bobbing below the surface. I didn't see a valid gear tag, or any means of identification, so I cut as many as I saw, but I'm sure there are more.

   To the fisherman(men) leaving these. I know it isn't technically illegal to fish with them in this location (assuming you follow all the rules mentioned in this TPWD link), but imagine a young kid swimming or tubing near these. I know you put them on the undeveloped bank. I get it, but at least be legal about it. Until you're legal I'm going to cut them all down.

/rant

P.S.- I did manage one Guadalupe bass on the fly yesterday, right below the Rockin' R takeout on the Guadalupe.

No comments:

Post a Comment