Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Colossal Colorado


   I haven't had a chance to write in awhile... because I've been fishing. With the pre-spawn aggression, the spawn and the beginning of spring (which is essentially a one month season here in Central Texas) I've been trying to catch some bass. The last 3 weekends I've spent on the Colorado River, and it has not disappointed. It was so good the first weekend (on a 3-day camping trip) that I had to go back last Saturday. It was so good last Saturday that I had to go back yesterday. Unfortunately, I don't have next Saturday off, but if I did, I'd be back again- it has been that good folks.

   Dr. Warthog and Sparrow (some TKF friends) invited me on a little float east of Austin down the Colorado River. I couldn't resist, they've been pulling in some big bass from the "Roddy" lately. The Texas state record Guadalupe Bass (and IGFA World Title for sure...) was pulled out last month not too far from this stretch and I was itching to get into some Guads.

    I loaded up with the good doctor and we headed out before the rest of the gang. We put in early Friday morning with the expectation to fish hard all weekend. We did. We literally wouldn't put the poles down all day, sunup to sundown. The first weekend yielded close to 40 bass, and I broke my PB Guad length- twice.





   I threw almost every soft plastic in my tackle box and had so many destroyed I burned through almost all of them in 3 days. Here were a few thoughts running through my head by Sunday morning:
1. My arms haven't hurt like this since Alaska
2. I wonder if they'll bite this (while rigging up the next random lure I hadn't tried)?
3. Can I catch one more fish?

   By Sunday I was worn out.
Prettiest Guad I ever caught



















   But I had such a good time that I had the urge to go back all that next week... so I did. My friend Dave had just got his kayak and was itching to slime it. We decided to do the first stretch of my trip the previous weekend and once again, it was on fire. I landed 29 bass in one day. Of those, 2 were Guads over 15". In 2 trips I had caught 4 Guadalupe Bass worthy of a Big Fish Award through TPWD. Dave slimed his boat up good with White Bass and Largemouths, and needless to say he was hooked on the Rowdy Roddy.

    Yesterday we gave it another shot and Dave landed multiple White Bass (good enough to cite his first Big Fish Award) and LMBs again. I managed a little over 20 bass and a few hefty footballs.



















    We were lucky to have similar weather and water conditions on all 3 of my trips:

Day 1: Over cast in the morning then sunny, high near 80, low wind- >3' visibility
Day 2: Over cast in the morning then partly cloudy, high near 75, low wind- < 2' visibility
Day 3: Partly cloudy all day, high near 75- < 1' visibility

Day 1: Partly cloudy all day, high near 75- 2' visibility

Day 1: Partly cloudy in the morning leading to bright sun and high near 85- > 2' visibility

    The Colorado is loaded with steep bank with mostly mud banks but some rock. Dead-falls abound on the steep bank and should be fished hard. 90 % of my fish were caught on the first or second cast into an area, typically on the fall, in the shallows near the felled debris. Often times the bite was "topwater" simply because the water was so shallow you could watch the current proceed to your lure and anticipate the strike. Often times I'd throw a weightless heavy craw Texas rigged around the larger trunks or in pinch points where bass might ambush their prey. If this didn't elicit a strike, I'd follow it up with a swimbait around the edges of the pile.

    My go-to lures for these 3 separate trips (and I didn't have enough for either of the trips) were:
1. Havoc Pit Boss 4in. in Okochobee Craw
2. Havoc Grass Pig Jr. 3.5in. in Black-Blue Silver Fleck (rigged weedless with a 1/8 oz. bullet weight)

   Sometimes they'd hit the craw and miss and I'd toss it back only to have it denied cast after cast. One lesson I learned by Trip #2- if they hit the craw and miss, follow it up quickly with the paddle tail swimbait and burn it through the area of the strike. Sometimes it'd be the 3rd or 4th cast in the area, but the bass would hit the swimbait hard, and this helped put probably 10 more bass in the kayak. By the 3rd trip I learned that if they strike the craw and miss, then deny the paddle tail- let it sit for 5 minutes quietly and then come back with the craw and try it later (maybe 5-10 minute) this helped put 5 more fish in the boat.

   Work the cover. Pound a pileup with lures for 10 minutes if you have to. I find a spot with great vantage points and wrap my leg over a branch (watch out for snakes!) while I cast at a pile over and over. I start with the craw and hit every little pinch point, nook or shadow I can get to. I don't just get close to that spot, I cast until I get into that spot- that makes a difference for the pickier (bigger) bass. If these casts don't elicit responses I'll work that swimbait parallel to the sides of the pileup, parallel to logs and under them and across points of the cover.

   Lastly, don't be afraid to burn a swimbait by a grass mat. Lineup alongside the vegetation and crank a swimbait or shallow crank or topwater frog parallel to that mat. These often result in aggressive strikes because the fish is generally hitting it closer to perpendicular than straight back. That's how this Guadalupe below destroyed a paddle tail- and it looks like this guy is used to fights!

















Go get out there before it gets too hot folks!



No comments:

Post a Comment